08 November 2017

Born Again

Some friends you don't see for years at a time...it isn't long before the time away doesn't feel like anything at all.  But it takes some effort to make that so...and that is an effort that comes from respect and the want to give of yourself just for the positive result.

Several years ago, as you might deduce from the dates on this blog, something happened to make me stop posting.  For those years the woodshop sat in a storage unit in Watertown while I got married, moved from my house in Waukesha to hers where there was no room for it.  I have helped (to the degree I am capable) raise children, switched jobs, twice if I have my memory straight, rented and rerented and finally sold the old place...and 6 months ago, another move with the whole family allowed me to start putting the woodshop back together.

I have recently finished the first few projects in the new space, one wholly different in feel and layout than the other, and certainly not completely figured out...but like the friends mentioned above, it isn't long before all the stuff from before feels natural again.  And then you're just off and playing...whether it's two long-separated friends, or a person and their tools.  I am grateful for both.

Enough with the gabber, here are some photos of the shop, from move-in storage, to building the workbench, to organization, to set-up, to actual use.  It takes some effort, for sure, but is worth it just for the positive result: letting yourself do something that is wholly up to you, no constraints, true freedom.